This website is dedicated to the millions of thyroid patients who are being ignored and left to suffer unnecessarily, and to healthcare practitioners, who want to better serve those patients.

Getting a Second Opinion

Getting a Second Opinion

If you feel you need a second opinion regarding your diagnosis and/or treatment, what do you do?

A second opinion may be requested by:

You, the patient – you may have doubts about the first diagnosis or suggested course of treatment and may like an alternative diagnosis/course of treatment to be investigated. You may simply require confirmation from another doctor.

Your carer or a relative (this must be with your consent).

GP – if your GP is unsure about a diagnosis, they may refer you to a consultant or another GP. They could be found negligent if they fail to do this and you suffer as a result.

Consultant – it is fairly common for a consultant to ask for a further opinion from a colleague if a case is particularly complicated.

You may request a second opinion after you have seen your GP, consultant or other health professional.

Second opinion from a GP:

If you are not happy with the advice you have been given by your GP, and would like a second opinion, you have three options:

If you are registered with a multi-GP practice, you can ask to see another GP in the practice,

Your GP can write a letter referring you to a GP in another local practice, or

Your GP can write a letter referring you to a private GP, which you may have to pay for.

You may at any time ask to register with another GP practice. However, the practice is under no obligation to accept you on their register.

Second opinion from a consultant or specialist:

A specialist is a doctor who has chosen and trained in a speciality area, e.g. paediatrician, surgeon, gynaecologist. Your GP will refer you to the specialist in your geographical area, who has the most expertise and is most appropriate for you. A specialist will only see you with a letter of referral from your GP. This letter will give the specialist essential background information on medication, previous treatments and anything your GP would like considered.

If you would like a second opinion on any recommended treatment, your specialist or GP will usually be prepared to arrange this. Or you may ask your consultant to do a consultant-to-consultant referral.

PLEASE BE AWARE – that if you want to see a private specialist, you should get a referral from your GP. But if you see a private specialist without a GP referral, your GP is not obliged to accept the specialists advice.


You must be logged in to post a comment.

Previous comments